Bob Stras Dallas Classic Basketball Tournament
The Purpose & Mission of The Tournament…
Why does the Dallas Diocese Chapter do this?
- To make a relevant connection that otherwise might not exist between the Knights of Columbus and the youth of our community.
- To support our local catholic schools and to contribute to the quality of their programs and environment.
2018 Tournament Highlights
- Tournament took place 11/29 to 12/1 with 8 teams on the girls side and 8 teams in the boys bracket. Teams traveled from as far away as San Francisco, Kansas City and Amarillo to compete with our local talent.
- Both host schools (Bishop Lynch and Jesuit Dallas) won their respective championships. The Bishop Lynch girls team went on to capture the TAPPS 6A State Championship for the 2018/19 season.
- Nolan Catholic returned on the boys side to join our other local catholic schools. Bishop Dunne was scheduled to return but withdrew.
- Coach Andy Zihlman of BL won his 1000th game as a head coach on the first night of the tournament. Commemorative trophy was presented by the Knights.
- We honored referee Jerell Daniels who has officiated in the Tournament for over 30 years.
Accomplishments and Improvements
- Expanded the Tournament Program to 40 pages from 36 last year. Upgraded creative content.
- Increased the number of Knights who took personal sponsorships from 30 to 50 (Platinum up 89% and Gold up 57%!).
- All players received high quality commemorative tee shirts.
- Upgraded trophies and awards.
- Two additional Councils funded ads for the first time.
- Two additional corporate sponsorships.
- DDC ad on the inside back cover went to full color.
- Improved “Who Are These Men Called Knights?” ad.