KofC Safe Environment Training
The Knights of Columbus Safe Environment Program safeguards children and other vulnerable persons, assures members and their families that we maintain a safe environment, protects members from awkward situations, misunderstandings, and appearances of impropriety, builds trust with arch/dioceses and parishes, and protects the good name of the Knights of Columbus.
The Knights of Columbus Office of Youth Protection has stated that the first requirement of our safe environment program is for our members to be aware of and compliant with Diocesan safe environment requirements applicable to members volunteering in activities on parish property.
The Dallas Diocese considers the Knights a Non-Parish Based Organization (NPBO). These NPBO’s are required to maintain their own safe environment records and are subject to audit which requests the last Safe Environment training date (to be complete annually) and the last background check date (completed every 2years) of all volunteers that are engaged in activities where there is direct contact with youth and or vulnerable persons.
There are two different scenarios which come into play for Knights of Columbus members regarding safe environment training
- If a Knight is involved in parish ministry(ies) that require Safe Environment training, then the Council Safe Environment Coordinator should work with the parish Safe Environment Coordinator to see that training is completed. Please see the information further down this page regarding Dallas Diocese Safe Environment Training.
- If a Knight is not involved in parish ministries the council is responsible for clearing that volunteer.
The following is required to be safe environment trained.
- Review the Knights of Columbus Safe Environment Program for Knights of Columbus Entities and return completed Acknowledgement form to Council Safe Environment coordinator.
- Have background check completed and updated every 2 years. The Knights of Columbus Status Consent Form and The Knights of Columbus Volunteer Release Form should be returned to Council’s Safe Environment Coordinator. The Council is responsible for cost of background check ($15.00).
- Complete Safe Environment training offered through Supreme, Diocese or other safe environment resources. Check with parish safe environment coordinator.
The links below will provide you with the necessary resources to complete safe environment training as a Knight NPBO.
- Knights Of Columbus Safe Environment Program For Knights Of Columbus Entities
- Knights of Columbus Status Consent Form
- The Knights of Columbus Volunteer Release Form
Start your KofC SEP Training
Registration Code: kofcsafe
REPORTING SUSPECTED ABUSE TO SUPREME COUNCIL
- REPORT SUSPECTED ABUSE TO LAW ENFORCEMENT
- NOTIFY LOCAL DIOCESE OF SUSPECTED ABUSE
- NOTIFY KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS OF SUSPECTED ABUSE AT:
Office of Youth Protection
email@example.com – 203-800-4940 – 855-845-3502 (fax)